What is APEC Business Travel Card?

Fast and visa-less travel for Malaysian business people within the APEC region

APEC Business Travel Card is initiated by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) as an effort to help members of the business community to frequently commute with the participating countries.

APEC comprises 21 economies namely Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong (China), Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Russia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United States, and Vietnam. Currently 19 economies except Canada and United States are participating in the ABTC Scheme.

( Note: An ABTC is linked to a passport, card holders must always carry their passport when they travel and inform the immigration department if their passport is lost or stolen. )

Streamlined processing through designated lanes at the airports and entry points of participating economies.


Without having separate visa application, cardholders are able to  enter the participating economies for business purposes up to 90 days.

Frequently Asked Question

Lost and Stolen APEC Business Travel Card

If the ABTC card is lost or stolen, re-application needs to be submitted directly to the Immigration Department. The following documents are required for submission:

  • Submit a copy of the new Malaysian Passport;
  • A copy of the police report said the loss;
  • Confirmation letter to verify the status of the applicant by the nominated organisations authorised to issue a support letter;
  • Payment of RM100.00 will be charged;
Note: The new APEC Card validity remains the same as in the previous card approved in the event that an ABTC Card is lost or stolen.

Reasons for refusing applications

Applications are commonly refused for the following reasons which reflect the business-related criteria outlined below:

  • The position occupied is not sufficiently senior;
  • The applicant is primarily performing a supporting role rather than being directly engaged in the selling, sourcing, negotiation and formal agreement to trade and invest. Some examples of support activities are training, systems development, quality assurance, post-sale support/implementation;
  • The applicant’s activities relate to the internal administration of a business entity (e.g. human resource directors, recruitment directors, financial directors, auditors, risk managers, technical managers);
  • The application contains insufficient information available for the immigration department to be satisfied in relation to all of the eligibility criteria. (The onus is on the applicant to provide sufficient information at the time of application); and
  • The business cannot demonstrate its business credentials or the applicant cannot demonstrate his/hers travel frequency.

Replacement of ABTC

What if my card is lost or damaged?

  • You are advised to report the loss of your card to the police and obtain a police report to prevent the possible abuse of your lost card. The replacement fee for lost and damaged cards is RM100. Please note that the replacement card will bear the same expiry date as the original card issued.
  • If I manage to find my lost ABTC later, can I return the new ABTC and use the old one instead?Once the card had been replaced, cardholders are advised to use the new card. The card which is found subsequently should be destroyed by cutting it into half. This is because the replacement card bears a different document number from the old card. You may be inconvenienced as a result of using an outdated card.
  • Would I have to replace my ABTC if I replace my passport upon its expiry?Yes. You would have to apply for a new card under the category of "replacement due to change of particulars (as reflected in your passport)" if there is a change in the Malaysian passport number.
  • Would I have to replace my ABTC if I change my personal particulars?Yes. You would have to apply for a replacement card under the category of "replacement due to change of personal particulars (as reflected in your passport)". Please note that you will first have to replace your IC due to change of particulars and update your changed particulars in your passport, before your card can be replaced.
  • Would I have to replace my ABTC if I change a new passport with a new passport number?Yes. You would have to apply for a new card under the category of "replacement due to change of particulars (as reflected in your passport)". You are reminded to submit your replacement ABTC only after you have collected your new biometric passport.

What are the payment modes available?

All registrations for ABTC applications must be in online bank transfer